Friday, August 11, 2006

Tuned Out

I played guitar again this morning but my song selection was different. I wasn't going to risk accidentally romancing the cat again. Instead I serenaded her with a song that, lucky for you, you have never heard. It's a tongue-in-cheek county-rock sort of number I wrote about a dozen years ago. Its last lines go like this:

Last time I saw you
Was so long ago
Last time I knew you
Was even longer before

Oh, baby, what happened
What happened to us
Our love just left us
Went down and got on a bus

I should have seen it coming
but how could I tell
I was just a ding dong
Trying to ring a Southern Belle

I sure got a lesson
Hope I learned it well
About being a ding dong
Trying to ring a Southern Belle


I'm going to take it as coincidence rather than commentary that not long after I finished Annie puked on the living room carpet. But it's true that she never cared much for my sense of humor.

1 comment:

A Girl From Texas said...

I had been taking violin lessons for a while and my cats DO NOT LIKE IT when I play scales along the e-string. The pitch is too high.

One of them would jump on my lap and put herself between the bow and the instrument. It was really quite humorous.