Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Traffic Survived


I survived my three day traffic stint. I got out of bed by 3 a.m. each morning, got showered, shaved and to the station by four (here's a tip, travelers: roads are almost always clear at 3:30 in the morning) and got the computers fired up in plenty of time for me to develop an all-consuming fear that I had forgotten something.

I probably had, but I was too blissfully ignorant to realize it.

The people at the station have treated me terrifically. They don't tell me how good a job I'm doing any more like they did when I first filled in, which I take to mean that they're no longer surprised that I don't completely stink.

Not that I'm particularly brilliant. I am not a gifted ad-libber so there's a limit to how smooth I'd be even if I did it regularly. But the lack of practice doesn't help. The reports I have to do from in front of the green screen wall give me the most problems and despite the fact that I now own my own green screen (see previous post) I can't duplicate the conditions of WTSP's studio at home to polish my performance.

But if management at the station and at traffic.com, which provides the traffic service to the station, are happy so am I.

Clip courtesy WTSP-TV

No comments: