Friday, November 07, 2008

Seabirds

I should have driven home after my morning shift at WTSP-TV. Tapes for a WEDU story due soon sit at home unwatched and unlogged.

Instead I drove across the Pinellas County peninsula from the station on the bay side to Gulf Blvd. on the west coast to visit the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary. It rehabs sick and injured birds and releases ones able to live in the wild.

I learned of its existence while researching possible story ideas for my freelance work at ZooToo TV.

It's hard to see some of the birds in their enclosures and the fencing makes photography difficult. But the sanctuary is right on the beach. Walk a few yards and you see wild seabirds gathered on the beach, waiting for handouts.

I didn't include photos of the guy who walked out with a large bucket at one point and dumped the contents into the water. But a couple of the photos show the absolute frenzy that ensued. I took 393 photographs and at least half came out blurry. Most in the slide show below were heavily cropped. Following moving objects is not a strong suit.

No comments: