Saturday, January 17, 2009

Disclosure

Reflecting on the Russell Rhodes arrest story in the post below, I should disclose that I once had an unflattering newspaper article written about me. You will have to forgive me if I don't search too hard to see if it exists online somewhere.

It had nothing to do with any interactions I may have had with police, however, none of which have ever ended either in arrest or with my face looking like it had been ground into the sidewalk like a cigarette butt.

My criminal record consists entirely of minor traffic violations. I have never been even recreationally handcuffed.

I can't say the same for someone who may be a distant relative.

Lonny A. McQuiston, according to the Bellingham (Wash.) Herald was "booked by the Bellingham Police Department for investigation of burglary, third-degree malicious mischief and a Department of Corrections warrant."

I learned about this allegedly miscreant McQuiston from a Google Alert that informs me when a McQuiston makes news. Most don't involve anything earth-shattering. This past fall I got many notices about a Skylor McQuiston who kicked field goals for a high school football team in Ohio.

Even if I stay on WTSP's morning show long enough that my arrest would make news, it should be easy for me to avoid Mr. Rhodes' particular situation. For one thing, I don't drink alcohol. For another, 10:16 p.m., the time of Rhodes' arrest, is way past my bedtime.

No comments: