Thursday, October 09, 2008

First HOA Meeting

I just got home from my first HOA meeting. I almost blew it off because it started at 7:15 and with a 3 a.m. wake-up looming I really wanted to wind down and try to go to bed.

But I thought it was important to attend. Only ten of the other 232 unit owners of our community agreed. The meeting was for the board of directors, still controlled by the builder, to approve next year's budget.

It was also the first chance owners had a real chance to question items in the budget. Previous years' budget meetings had happened at the builder's Tampa office at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. This one happened at a church a mile away from home.

Representatives from our property management company attended and they faced questions as well as some venting about issues we face in our community.

I was glad to see that other owners had as much concern about our community as I did. We'll need more than eleven of them with such a commitment to maintain a high quality of life in the community but this could be a good start.

No comments: