Friday, August 29, 2008

So Much Work

It's Friday. If I make it through the next few hours, I will have completed my longest continuous stint at a TV station in three years. Four days. When I got in this morning, the news anchor said, "It's Friday! You made it through the week."

"Not yet," I replied. "Ask me again in about five hours. I can celebrate then."

I got to bed by 9 p.m. last night. After yesterday morning's show I went to play golf with my father and I skipped the nap I'd taken Tuesday and Wednesday.

It's probably a good thing that I won't get this job permanently. Someone asked me if I was having any fun. Not exactly, I told her. But the abject terror I had that I would either fail to answer the alarm clock and miss a shift or that I'd do something once I got there that would earn me infamy forever on YouTube has mostly abated.

Mostly.

Maybe when I get more comfortable (read: don't stink so much) it will get more fun. It's pretty boring work, actually. How many different ways can you describe a shot of traffic backed up at junction of I-4 and I-275? It is mindless enough that even the "bubble-headed bleach blonde" from the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry" could do it and I don't blame Ch. 10 if that's the "new direction" it decides to go.

But it's good on-camera practice and something broadcast-related to do while I try to build up more freelance business. Speaking of which, I have a potential new client and I'll have to complete a list of story pitches this afternoon. I'll fill in details if something comes of it.

No comments: